Sunday, July 26, 2009

Apple Galette

Galette is the name given for pies that have a freeform shape. I just like to call it lazy shape, as you do not really need to work on crimping the edge or fluting the dough. I did however, try to make it look pretty and I tried to give the flaps a certain direction.

I cheated on this recipe. Well, sort of.
Cheated meaning I used a box mix for the crust.
I absolutely love this box mix, even though I am not a box mixes lover, nor do I recommend them. This one I do though.
Could have used the recipe for pate brisee. I'm sorry I didn't, but I was lazy.
I am not too proud of myself. LOL

Ingredients:
Cinnamon apples layer:
1 medium size apple of your choice, which you need to peel and slice thinly
1 TBSP cinnamon
1 TBSP sugar

Apple filling:
1 big apple or 2 small ones (Granny Smith is best), which should weigh 200 gr, peeled and cubed
2 eggs
1 heaping TBSP sugar (20 gr)
60 gr butter
60 ml sour cream (4 TBSP)
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 TBSP corn starch (15 gr)

100 water

Sprinkles:
Almonds or any nuts of your choice

Directions:
Use a box mix to make the dough or use THIS recipe to make pate brisee, the flaky, perfect every time pie crust.
I used to mix a double batch, bake one crust and freeze the other.
You know, just to test it out to see how it is when you thaw it and bake it.
It is perfect for freezing for later use !
Just before pouring the apple filling in, make sure you prepare the galette crust.
It should be a little larger than the regular pie crust, a 10 to 11 inch diameter circle.
Place it into your pie pan, with the edges overlapping the rim and put it into the refrigerator.
Now for the filling:
Mix the first 3 ingredients and cook them on medium high heat in a sauce pan for approx. 10 minutes, stirring often.
Set aside to cool off and prepare another sauce pan for the apple filling.
Place the diced/cubed apples in it along with the sugar to caramelize them and then add the water, stirring every now and then until all the water has been absorbed.
Mix the apples in a food processor or use a potato masher to mash them up.
Add the butter, sour cream, eggs, vanilla and corn starch and stir.
Keep on medium heat until thickened, approx. 10 minutes, stirring continuously.
Let the filling cool off and when it is cool pour it into the prepared pie crust.
Put the cinnamon apples on top and sprinkle the nuts.
Now make the nice shape of the galette or just gather the edges around the filling.
Cook at 400 for 10 minutes or according to your choice of crust, depending on what the directions are.
Let me know if you have any problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment