Friday, September 11, 2009

Baked Apples for a Rainy Day


For a while it kept on raining here and one morning, while still pouring, I felt like having a baked apple. Would have been so yummy with some cinnamon whipped cream, but I ran out of heavy cream so...
While it is easy to cook your apples in the microwave, I somehow feel the full flavor is developed in a deeper way when you slowly bake them in the oven. I will later on post about pears, which I cooked using the microwave and I will touch the pertaining points then.
You do not really need many ingredients as the apple itself is glorious, but I do suggest you do not skip on the ingredients I will be posting as necessary.


Ingredients:
2 apples
3 TBSP nuts of your choice (I used walnuts)
1 TBSP butter, cut in 2
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 TBSP brown sugar
some honey, for the final drizzle

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 375 F and pick your baking dish - which should be a small one, Pyrex or aluminum.
Choose 2 apples of your choice - wash them, remove the core and if you wish, do like me: peel them, then place them in the baking dish and set aside.
I chose one yellow and one Granny Smith tart apple from my fruit bowl.


Toast the nuts lightly in a small skillet on the stove, then put them on a chopping board and chop them finely.


In a small or medium bowl place the nuts, brown sugar and cinnamon and toss to combine, then spoon the mixture over the apples, top with butter and drizzle honey.
See how it was raining outside ?


Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until they soften.
Eat warm.


Always clock on the pictures to see them in their real size.

6 comments:

  1. Merele astea arata extraordinarde bine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catalina, these look delicious...thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. They do not only look good, they also taste good !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look so yummy! I would totally make these if it weren't getting to 80 degrees today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! these look so yummy! love apples! Thanks for sharing (: I'll be reading your blog regularly. Is it alright to add you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure it is alright ! Love to know I have readers !

    ReplyDelete