Saturday, September 19, 2009

Cream Cheese Danish

Here drizzled with some O.J. Reduction !



I was feeling creative and I know my husband loves a good cream cheese danish, so I came up with my own version of cream cheese danishes !
I used 2 egg yolks, to hold it together, some cornstarch and as far as cream cheese goes, I opted for the fat free cream cheese.
In order to make sure I get the shaping right, I first exercised on a piece of paper and I suggest you always do anything using paper first and then using your dough - as the dough may not be as forgiving.
They are so easy and so tasty, please give them a try !

Ingredients:
8 oz fat free cream cheese (1 package)
6 TBSP sugar
2 egg yolks (you can use 1 whole egg)
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 scant TBSP cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 sheet puff pastry (1/2 package)

Directions:
Make sure you thaw the puff pastry well: leave it at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours.
Mix the ingredients for the filling with a hand held mixer, making sure the cream cheese was at room temperature.


For that you need to keep it on your kitchen counter for 30-45 minutes.
After mixing, place the bowl in the fridge until ready to use.
Now sprinkle some flour on your work surface and spread the puff pastry sheet, then with a rolling pin, roll it to 12 by 12 inch square.
Cut it in 4 equal squares.


At opposite corners of the individual squares cut even v shaped slits.


Then lift one corner over the opposite inner edge.


To make sure the dough stays well in place I brushed some water in between the 2 pieces of puff pastry, just where they join together.
Preheat the oven to 400 F and place the pastry pieces on a greased baking pan or baking mat, then let them sit in the fridge until ready to bake.


When the oven is preheated, spoon the filling and bake for 15-20 minutes, keeping an eye on them.


They are SO good !
In the near future I will show you another way of filling puff pastry, without flipping the edges over each other.

2 comments:

  1. Those look so yummy! Great creativity by the way. I love anything with cream cheese. It's just so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really are so delicious and really so easy to make. Give them try and let me know what you think.
    I was thinking the other day...the dough sheet could also be cut in 6 to make smaller danishes.

    ReplyDelete