Monday, September 28, 2009

Stuffed Chicken Breast with a Side of Rice


When I saw this recipe here I knew I had to try it and I could not help myself but add my personal touch to it (not having thought too much ahead of cooking, I ended up with a little bit too much rice, which in the end actually turned out to be a good thing because it was the side dish I needed) !
Thanks Mihaela for giving me the idea and the permission to publish the recipe (I will be posting the recipe how I made it).
Being cooked previously, the rice does not suck in any of the meat juices and the meat being thin and so tender takes just a little time to cook.


Ingredients:
1 cup Arborio rice or any other kind you may have (I think the original recipe calls for something like Basmati)
1/2 onion, finely diced
1.5 to 2 cups water (she used less water, but I had to add more or the rice would have dried out really badly)
1 TBSP butter
1 small piece of parsnip or turnip, finely diced
1 medium carrot, finely diced or shredded (the original also calls for some bell pepper which I did not want to use)
some tarragon
some basil
2 TBSP oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 piece of chicken breast, cut in 2 and tenderized with a meat hammer

Directions:
Start with the rice by placing it in some water so it can soften up a little bit.

While the rice is soaking attend to the chicken breast making sure it is thawed well if you just pulled it out of the freezer (I use the microwave to defrost it usually, but at times it seems to also cook a little bit while defrosting so I RECOMMEND you place the plastic bag in which you have the meat inside a bowl of warm water and let the water work its magic).
When thawed / defrosted, cut it in 2 pieces and place each piece in its plastic bag, close the bag and start pounding with the meat tenderizer to thin it and to tenderize it.
If you do not have such a hammer, go ahead and use your rolling pin.

If you have a food processor, process all the veggies OR just use your knife skills OR use a shredder, then place them in a medium saucepan, along with the oil and butter.


Sautee for 5 minuten, add the drained rice and cook for 5 more minutes, on medium heat.
Add the water and at this point cover your saucepan and let simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove from the heat, fluff with a fork, taste, season and let cool down a bit.


Preheat the oven to 400 F and have a greased small pan ready.
Spread the chicken breast on a large plate, season it with salt & pepper and spoon some rice over the meat, then roll as tight as possible and place in the prepared baking dish.


If you wish, sprinkle with basil and some oil and bake for 10 to 20 minutes.
Serve with the rest of the rice on the side.
It's so tasty !

2 comments:

  1. This is really interesting, with lots of possibilities... Gonna try this on the frill, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. It also works well with pork loin.
    It won't be as breakable when you pound it down.
    Have fun !

    ReplyDelete