Sunday, September 26, 2010

Little Baby Cabbage or Brussels Sprouts for Dinner




The beauty of having your own blog is that you can write about pretty much everything that strikes your fancy, which in this case is my newest so called "experiment".
Brussels sprouts look very cute being that they resemble a miniature cabbage

 
and my hope was that they taste maybe better than the cabbage itself.
Look at the inside ! If you didn't know better, you'd almost think this IS the real size regular cabbage.


I personally do not like wilted veggies or over boiled or overcooked greens and so - I had to come up with a way to make the sprouts taste good, be cooked and still be crunchy.
And I also wanted a coating or a topping - other than bacon, which we did not have in the fridge right at the moment.
And to keep it short, I decided to quarter the very well washed

 
Brussels sprouts, coat with oil, season with salt & pepper

 
and broil them for 4 minutes on high.
Here in this 6 by 9 inch baking pan I have exactly 10 sprouts.
At $ 2.69 per pound, these baby cabbages cost me $ 1.56. Not too bad.



 
After that, I sprinkled some mozzarella cheese and broiled for 1 to 2 more minutes, just enough for the stringy cheese to melt.


I served them with some smoked mini sausages and some rice cooked risotto style.


I have to say that the sprouts were good, but they are not something I fell in love with, and so, while they are cute, they are not all that tasty unless you add toppings and glazes or a lot of seasonings.
For dessert we had light yogurt with 1 chopped kiwi on top. Yum !!



How do you like to prepare your sprouts?

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmn... Cheese on brussie's? I can't ever remember eating cheese on cabbage either. You didn't want bacon but you had sausages. Maybe they could have been diced up and cooked in with it. Just thinking.

    ReplyDelete