Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Amazing English Muffins

See how nicely puffed up and airy are ?


These must be some of the tastiest treats I have managed to pull off in my kitchen, provided the fact that I have only tasted English Muffins once before. Don't ask me how that happened.
They look so good and they have always scared me....even though I cooked and baked plenty by now and I should not have fear of many dishes or baked goods.
It must have been their shape. Or their crumb ?
Anyway, I gave them a try and the result was most rewarding !
Let's make some muffins !

Ingredients:
7 gr instant yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup warm milk or water
another 300 ml milk
1 teaspoon sugar
4 cups flour (500 gr) plus more if necessary
1 egg
2 scant teaspoons salt
2 TBSP melted butter
2 TBSP cornmeal to dust the work surface

Directions:
Soften the yeast in the 1/4 cup warm milk or water and add the sugar, then stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
In a medium bowl combine the flour and salt.
In a large bowl place all the wet ingredients, along with the egg and add the yeasty mix.
Use a mixer to combine.


Then add the flour mixture to the wet mix and stir slowly with a spoon to combine.
Turn out to your work surface and knead for 5 to 10 minutes, then transfer to a bowl and let sit until double, about 1.5 hours.
When fully rose, transfer it to the cornmeal dusted work surface, sprinkle some more cornmeal on top and roll until it reaches 1/3 to 1/2 inch thickness.
Use a wide opened glass or a cookie/biscuit cutter to cut out the muffins.
I used one that was 2.5 inches in diameter and I got mini muffins, but if you want larger ones, go for 4 inches wide.


Now that you cut out all the muffins, take your cast iron skillet out and heat it for 3 to 5 minutes on medium heat.


You do not need to grease it or anything.
Bake the muffins in it for 1 to 3 minutes on each side.
The pieces of dough that are left can be kneaded and re-rolled and you can cut muffins again.
After taking them out of the skillet place on a cooling rack and after a few minutes transfer to a bowl and then serve or freeze most of them, like I did.
You don't want them to steam on top of eachother, so that's why you need to let them cool first.
I think I got 20 some mini muffins in the end.


How fun !

No comments:

Post a Comment