Monday, October 12, 2009

Blueberry Walnut Granola Bars





I dedicate this post to Judith, who I know will like them as she thought I was making granola bars earlier when I posted a recipe for loose granola.
These blueberry granola bars were interesting to make and they are very tasty. I used dried blueberry and it seems that they soaked some of the moisture and plumped up a bit, so they taste even better !
I used walnuts because I like the combination with blueberries, but if you are going to make this, you are free to use what suits your taste.

Ingredients:
1 big cup coconut (80 gr)
120 gr dried blueberries (about 4 oz)
200 gr walnuts


5 oz oats (use any kind you have)
5 oz honey, by weight
60 gr brown sugar
2 TBSP butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/3 cup chocolate chips
aluminum foil
1 small plastic bag (ziplock)
wax paper

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 F and butter a 9 by 9 inch Pyrex baking dish and set aside.
If you do not think that buttering the pan will be sufficient, then you can line it with aluminum foil like I did.




In a wide baking pan place the coconut, chopped walnuts and oats, mix and bake for 15 minutes, stirring once.



When done, remove from oven and reduce the heat to 325 F.
In a saucepan combine the honey, sugar, butter, vanilla and zest and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring every now and then, making sure that the brown sugar is completely dissolved.
When both the oats and the syrup are done, combine them and add the fruit, stirring to combine.


Place the mixture into the prepared baking dish and press down to distribute it evenly.
You can use a spoon, a spatula or another baking dish which you place over the oats and firmly press down.
It's best if you have a film of plastic wrap in between the 2.



Bake for 25 minutes, remove from pan, let cool and cut into bars.


I think that if it does not hold together as you would like it to, you can go ahead and bake it for 15 to 25 more minutes at 375 F.



Let cool and drizzle the melted chocolate over.

For convenience, I placed my chocolate in the plastic bag, melted it in the microwave and then cut the tip and drizzled over the granola bars.
I used strips ofwax paper and tape to hold it in place, then I wrapped the granola bar in plastic wrap.
They should be stored in the fridge.
It took me a little time to figure out the best way to wrap those bars, but I managed to pull off something.








You can both see the granola bar through the plastic wrap and hold it once you open it on the end that has the wax paper.
Do not use wax paper when baking in general, as it smokes - try using parchment paper.

9 comments:

  1. These look great. I always try to make something for the parents who take their kids trick or treating (small neighborhood, we know each other). These would be a great treat. Thanks for the idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome !
    If you do make them, please let me know how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done, Cat. They turn out just great !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Multumesc Narnia.
    Iti dau un baton cadou :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ai inceput sa te pregatesti de Halloween vad, cred ca vin si eu cu galetusa dupa dulcegarii la tine;).Pupici

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!
    When I saw the title, I said YYYESSSS!
    And be sure, I'm going to make these soon, as soon as my back pain lets me bake. :)
    Seriously, iti multumesc din suflet pt. reteta!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are most welcome Judith.
    Anytime !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look so yummy!! I love blueberries and I love granola bars, this is definately a recipe I need to try!

    ReplyDelete