Thursday, October 22, 2009

Deep Dish Apple Pie with Quinces








Apple pie, especially deep dish apple pie is an American staple as far as I know and if you get it right it can be a sublime dessert, even though it is a very simple dish.
I think the more simple, the more elegant things are anyway, no mater what is it that we are talking about as the rule applies to a wide array of subjects from clothing to food display.
As I had a few quinces left in the paper bag that they placed them in at the store, I decided to substitute an apple for a quince. You cannot really tell there is a quince in my pie, and I think that this is due to the fact that I cut it into very small pieces.
I decided to use a box mix for the pie crust to cut on the calories and I also used splenda instead of sugar.


After cutting the top slits in the crust,


I felt creative and decided to spray with some butter flavored oil, then place a fork on top and sprinkle cinnamon.


Isn't it cute ?
The final height of the pie, just before placing it in the oven to bake was approx. 3 inches. But I discovered that the steam formed while baking rose the top crust and then when the pie cooled, the pie went down to maybe 2 inches. So if you think it is too tall, do not worry, it will go down considerably.



Ingredients:
one double pie crust for 9 inch pie pan
4 apples (Granny Smith)
1 quince or just another apple
1 cup to 1,5 cups splenda or sugar
2 big teaspoons zest
1 dash nutmeg
1 big teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon Grand Marnier
1/4 cup cornstarch or flour

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 F.
Peel core and cut the apples into slices and do the same with the quince (I cut it into small pieces as I was wondering if somehow leaving it big would affect the consistency of the pie, but it was an unnecessary worry).
Line a 9 inch deep dish pie pan with one of the 2 pie crusts and keep the other crust in the fridge.
Toss the fruit with the rest of the ingredients and place in the pie pan.



Cover with the remaining crust and tuck the edges under nicely.


Spray with some oil, cut slits for venting,



place a fork on top and sprinkle with cinnamon.


Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until golden.
Let cool for 15 minutes before cutting into it.
Works perfectly with cinnamon ice- cream and butter sauce.


4 comments:

  1. I haven't seen any quinces here, unfortunately. My Mom used to make quice-soup, I loved it so much!
    This must be tasting really good! The fork motif is so cute! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cat, this deep dish apple pie looks delicious. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both ! I would love to share my pie with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks and sounds really delicious. I love apple season! I'm planning on making pie this weekend and then canning the rest of my apples as apple butter...we'll see, I might be getting overly ambitious ;)

    ReplyDelete