Thursday, September 3, 2009

Blueberry Pie


Ah, the blueberries...I have plenty of memories when it comes to them...
Anyhow, the blueberries are said to have plenty of antioxidants, you know....the stuff that helps keep us young, so the more you eat of them, the better for you.
Although, if you ask me....you are only as young as you feel.
I have a lady neighbor here that buys frozen berries from a family (that's what I think she said) that picks the berries and freezes them and then travels throughout the country to sell them.
I think they use a freezer truck, just like the ice cream is being transported- and the wonderful thing about it is that the fruit does not comes in large clumps, but individual berries. Just as if fresh !
Anyway, she told me about it a few months ago and now that she bought a large quantity, she showed up at my door one day to give me some. Wow, I thought to myself....they have "blueberry pie" written all over the bag. Lol
So here is my pie. And a few pieces of advice.You know, now that I have the "blueberry pie" experience.
I was happy with it, especially since it was the first ever blueberry pie I have made in my life.

Ingredients:
750gr blueberries fresh or frozen
3/4 cup sugar
juice from 1 lemon or half a lime
1 scant TBSP of citrus zest
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (don't go for more or it will overpower the blueberries)
***do not use nutmeg, please
10 teaspoons cornstarch
2 TBSP butter, cut into small pieces (you can leave it out if you wish)
dough for double 9 inch crust (pate brisee or pie crust mix like I used)

Directions:
Make the pie crust dough, divide it in 2 slightly uneven pieces.
The larger one will be the pie crust base and you need to line a pie pan with and then put it in the fridge.
Now the other half of the dough will be for the lattice on top.
For now, wrap it in plastic and put it in the fridge.
Grab a large bowl and place the blueberries in it along with the sugar, lime/lemon juice and zest, cinnamon and cornstarch and toss to combine and then toss again every now and then.


Let them sit for 15-25 minutes at room temperature.
When you have 5 to 10 minutes left of waiting for the fruit to sit, take the piece of dough out of the fridge, unwrap it and roll it out to make a 9 inch disk.
Grab your pastry cutter and cut equal strips as if making cheese sticks.
At this point you will need to turn on your oven to 400 F.
When the oven is heated to 400 F take out the pie pan from the fridge and pour the berries in it, with all the juices that have formed.
Now begin to lay the lattice.
Hopefully my pictures will help you with that aspect if you have never done it before.
If you wish, dot with the pieces of butter.


Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 55 minutes covered and 25-35 uncovered.
Let cool down at room temperature or in the fridge so it can set and harden and only then cut and indulge !
Have fun !














11 comments:

  1. loved it! i adore blueberries, and this cake looks divine! thanks for the recipe, well done,

    cheers from london,

    pity

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish someone would try it too and let me know how it turned out. You can also make small pies in your muffin pan or in a set of small tarts.
    One thing though : do not overfill the pan as it will bubble up and it may start to leak and your oven will be a mess. We don't want that, do we?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this. I just froze my bluberries so when I get back from the holiday weekend I can try this. Haven't known what to do with my blueberries for a week now. Great step by step photos too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Catalina,
    I loved your blog...congratulatiosn, so many recipes and the pictures...they are so beautibul...I adore everything here...every tasteful...and the "step-by-step pictures" are the best here...now I know to do this pie.
    I want invite you to visit my blog...if you need theres a translator for you language (I'm from Curitiba/Brazil)
    hugs
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh, thank you so much ! Please go ahead and make the pie and let me know how it is !

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a gorgeous pie! Your lattice work is beautiful...I get frustrated every time I try :/ I do love a good blueberry pie...and now I'm craving a big ol' slice w/ some ice cream and coffee...thanks for that ;)

    ReplyDelete