Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My Country - Style Bread......sweet, soft and delicate






For some reason, I like to bake bread. Bread. In any form, shape, consistency and no matter how long it takes for it to proof and rise. I like to knead the dough, I like to play with it and at the end, I like to bite into the product of my labor. Oh yes, there is nothing like a hot piece of bread, torn from the loaf you just removed from the oven. M m m . M.
I would gladly try any new recipe I can get my hands on and on the other hand, I don't mind buying my packaged bread or the refrigerated variety. Gimme my bread. Grin.
Anyhow, here is the recipe for one of the breads that gets a score of 10 out of 10 in my book.

Ingredients:
40 ml warm water
1/2 teaspoon sugar (white or brown)
2 scant teaspoons yeast
1 cup warm water
3 scant TBSP sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vinegar (do you have champagne vinegar?)
3 TBSP canola oil
3 to 4 cups of flour (I only use all purpose, unbleached)

Directions:
Mix the 40 ml of water with the yeast and 1/2 tsp sugar and let sit for about 5 minutes.
Then pour the yeast mixture in a medium size bowl and start adding the rest of the ingredients, one by one, in the given order.
Add the flour a little at a time and don't force it to get to 4 cups even. You will get a dough that may be too stiff.
Let rise covered in a warm place for at least 1 hour, or until it doubles in size.
I let it sit there for 2 hours.
Prepare a loaf pan by spraying it and dusting it with corn meal.
Clean and sanitize your work surface.
Lightly dust your table or counter (work surface).
Deflate it, roll it with a rolling pin and and start rolling it into a loaf that fits right in the pan you have just prepared.
Place in in the pan, glaze it with egg wash and let sit uncovered to rise again, for 1 more hour.
Using your knife, make 3 to 6 cuts.
Bake into a preheated oven at 375 F for 25 to 35 minutes, until top is nicely browned.
Keep your eye on it.
Give it a try, you will love it !
Makes for perfect sandwich bread !

No comments:

Post a Comment