Thursday, September 10, 2009

Potato Cakes




I tasted a special type of potato cakes some time ago and really wanted to make them at home, but did not know neither their name, nor the exact ingredients. Even so, I seem to have got almost the same taste in the potato cakes I made. Yeeey !
When I cooked my last batch of hash browns, I shredded and dried extra potatoes so I could use them to try out the potato cakes.
I just adapted it as I went.

Ingredients:
1 to 2 cups shredded and patted dry potatoes
1 egg, beaten
1/3 - 1/2 teaspoon salt
pepper
tarragon
3 TBSP flour

Directions:
Mix all the ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.


Heat a cast iron skillet on medium heat and pour some oil in it.
Then spoon some of the mixture and bake for 2 to 4 minutes on each side, until nicely cooked, fragrant and golden-brown.
They make a wonderful side for any meat !


Serve warm or microwave to reheat.

5 comments:

  1. I like tarragon...this is comfort food...thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I remember Mom making potato pancakes as a child. She put sour cream on top and we ate plenty. Tarragon, interesting. We didn't have that as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oy vey... Latkas

    This is my traditional Christmas morning meal. Never with tarragon before, I sprinkle sweet paprika on the finished cakes.

    Little apple sauce on the side...yum, Happy Holidays

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh - now I do realize my humble potato cakes are what other people call Latkes and they are prepared for Hanukkah.
    I just whipped them up as an experiment to see if I can acheve that same taste of the dish I had a while back. Mine were so good !
    They work well with spicy salsa on top too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess each country and culture have their own version of various foods. My mother is Lithuanian and I recall potato pancakes (BULVINIAL BLYNAI) as a year-round treat. Its nice that so many cultures share commonalities.

    ReplyDelete