Monday, September 7, 2009

Caramelized Onion


If there is a small group of so called perfect toppings, then I think caramelized onions is among the few in that group.
Even though you can choose just about any pan, saucepan or skillet to cook these onions, I personally prefer my cast iron dutch oven.
It takes a little while for the onion to cook, but it is all worth it !
Ok, so you cook them, and then you think.....now what do I do with my beautifully caramelized and very fragrant onions?
You can make mini pizzas, a regular pizza, a tart, a quiche, an omelette, top your mashed potatoes, add them to your hamburger, hot dog, make onion soup and the list could just go on and on....

Ingredients:
3 TBSP oil (or olive oil if you have)
3 large onions, sliced ( 1/4-1/8 inch thick )
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasonings
2 scant teaspoons sugar

Directions:
Place the sliced onions and oil in your pan or skillet of choice and add the seasonings.


Toss to combine and let them cook on low heat , stirring only occasionally for approx. 1 and a half hours.
Here after 10 minutes.

Here at 30 minutes.

Here at the end.

If you then decide to go ahead and make the onion soup, you can try this recipe below.

Ingredients:
the caramelized onions you just cooked
4 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 1 cup cold water
1/2 cup sherry wine
3 bay leaves
thyme
basil
tarragon
salt to taste
oregano
3 more cups of water (you will have 4 in total as you have one cup in which you dissolved the cornstarch)
*** toppings for the soup: toasted bread and cheese of your choice (I toast my bread in the toaster oven and melt the cheese in the microwave for 45 seconds)


Directions:
In a heavy pan bring all the ingredients to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer on low for 15-20 minutes.
Taste every now and then and adjust the seasonings and make sure you remove the bay leaves.
Enjoy !

11 comments:

  1. Welcome to the foodie blogroll! I'm going to try your carmalized onions. I LOVE onions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, those onions, etc. Yum!

    Congrats on the blogroll! Nice blog you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna and Pam - thanks so much for the nice compliments. Very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow the colors just pop out on your blog! come follow along with me and get in on the giveaways

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, I live bright colors and actually green is my fav. When I first started to blog here, my blog was bright green ! Hideous !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cooked very slow thats the technique I needed to know...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. very slow and not too much stirring

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, I am dreaming of caramelized onions and onion soup - my favorite. I'll have to dig out some onions and try this out -- Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gerry - let me know if you like my version of caramelized onions and onion soup. I love it !

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious! I think I'm hooked on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm honored to read that. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete