Monday, September 21, 2009

Sandwich Almond Cookies


The Italians have these really tiny, crunchy and somewhat bitter-sweet tasting cookies they refer to as AMARETTI, with which I fell in love with my first bite.


One of the other days I remembered these cookies and thought I would give them a try at home because I have never seen them in any store.
Their name means "little bitter things" and they are an Italian version of the macarons, usually made with either marzipan, almond paste or almond meal along with sugar and egg whites.
All the ingredients on hand....let's get to work.
I used THIS recipe as I trust the author, but it turns out they are different that the picture they show there and they are still white !
They do taste very good, but they do not look the same !
I do not know what I did wrong, but I will definitely try those again, with a different recipe.
I used raspberry filling for making the sandwiches.

Here making my almond meal.

Still on the baking sheet, right after tking them out of the oven.

Close-up of the little cookies sandwiches.


2 comments:

  1. It has never occurred to me that I could make my own amaretti--I always just buy them! I'll have to try these. Brown or not, they look yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though they did not turn out as I expected them, they do turn out really tasty and just about any filling goes well....from buttercream to ganache to whipped cream, jam, jelly....Nutella...you name it !
    If you make them, please do let me know how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete