Friday, June 26, 2009

Soft Yeast Rolls or Homemade Hamburger Buns





We went to buy our groceries and Jeff said he will cook hamburgers the following weekend. Now what you don't know is that the buns we bought there sat on the kitchen counter for maybe 4 days or so and one morning we saw the were growing......MOLD that is !
Oh no ! How can that happen ? Easy and therefore i had an excuse to make these soft rolls.
Was I upset about the fact thst we had to throw the buns in the trash ? yes, but I had this recipe as a back up, so it's ok.
Thank God for home cooking !

Ingredients:
1 cup warm milk or water
1/4 cup honey
3 TBSP oil
1 egg, beaten
7 gr yeast or 1 packet
2 TBSP powder milk
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups flour

Directions:
Dissolve the yeast in the milk or water in a large bowl and mix with the other wet ingredients.
Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add a little at a time into the the wet ingredients bowl.
Knead for at least 10 minutes and let rise covered for 1 hour.
Divide into 8 pieces if you choose to make hamburger buns or into 12-18 if you just want dinner rolls like you get at the restaurant.
By the way, these resemble something I had at a Logan's Roadhouse. Yes, the one where you throw the peanut shells on the floor.
After dividing the dough into as many pieces as you choose, form balls and let them proof on a baking sheet or in a casserole dish (you will get 12-18 pull apart rolls this way) for approx 1 h.
Preheat the oven to 400 F and bake the rolls for 12-15 minutes or until browned.
If you want yours to look shiny like mine, at about 5 minutes into baking top them with a mix of 1 TBSP melted butter and 1 TBSP honey, keeping in mind that they may be sticky on top.
They seem to keep well in the fridge inside a plastic container/zip lock bag.

3 comments:

  1. Made it last night! It's wonderful! Thanks for the recipe!
    For some reason I needed another 2/3 cup of milk+water to the dough, maybe because of the Canadian flour I used. 4 cups of flour= 700 g. And I had 12 hamburgers.
    Used less sugar this time, but next time will try with honey. :) I'm soooo happy for my first hamburgers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Judith ! What I will change next time is - I would skip the mid bake glazing, as I do not find it to do much for the bun itself. Makes it sticky too. Otherwise, I'm happy with the recipe. Love the taste and texture. Did you knead by hand or in the bread machine ? I always seem to knead everything in the bread machine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't glaze it at all. But the texture was really great. There were 2 pcs leftover yesterday and were still as soft as 2 days before.
    I always use Kitchen Aid for kneading, it does the job perfectly.
    I will definitely make it again, my husband was so thrilled and enjoyed it a lot!
    Thanks again for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete