Sunday, August 30, 2009

How about some Chicken Chili ?



I know that Jeff, my husband, likes chili and he also likes chicken (boneless and skinless is a must), so the chicken chili I decided to make for him was just perfect !
I have seen many many chili recipes in the last half of year and I know that 90% of them call for ground meat - beef mostly.
I decided to use chicken thighs, cut into smaller than bite size pieces and it was a good decision.
I did not use anybody's recipe, as I thought it is best to just come up with one myself.
Jeff loved it.
:)
Oh, by all means, if you decide to give it a try, go ahead and use any type of meat that you like.

Ingredients:
2-3 chicken thighs
1 carrot
1/3 - 1/2 bell pepper
1 medium red onion
1/2 parsnip
1/2 cup corn kernels
one 14 oz diced tomatoes zesty chili style
1 teaspoon hamburger seasoning
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
dash of ground pepper
4 TBSP oil
2 TBSP diced parsley or cilantro
1 cup dry beans (wash, rinse, boil them in 6 cups water for 1.5-2 hours)

Directions:
If you decide to use dry beans, boil them, drain and set aside.
Or, for convenience, go ahead and use a can of store bought beans.
I used red kidney beans, but I do not think it matters all that much which type you use.
Dice the vegetables/legumes and set aside in a bowl.
Cut the meat into pieces and set aside in another bowl.
Place the oil in a saucepan, heat it up a few minutes, then add the meat and the vegetables to it and cook for 5-10 minutes on medium high heat stirring often with a plastic/wooden spoon.
By this time the meat should be cooked already.
Now open the can of diced tomatoes and add them to the contents of the saucepan, along with all the spices/condiments.
Bring to a boil, cover, lower the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the beans and stir.
If you wish, you can again bring the mixture to a boil then remove from heat or you can simply remove from heat after adding the beans.
Stir in the parsley at the end.
Serve it with some cheese on top and flat bread.
Easy, wasn't it ?

No comments:

Post a Comment