Friday, August 21, 2009

Best Pecan Pie I made so far !


I tasted the best pecan pie so far made by someone else other than myself at my Mother and Father In Law, as my Father in Law makes this pie to die for !
So tasting that awesome pie, I really wanted to make my own variation and see what I can come up with.
I made it once, loved it and now I made it a second time and really I think I'm improving !
Yey for me !
It doesn't necessarily take long to make and it does not need anything exotic.
Also, it uses an unbaked crust and it needs to be cooked on the lower third part of your oven, covered for the first 35 minutes with aluminum foil.
Let's get cookin' !


Ingredients:

200 gr brown sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
4 TBSP unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
3 eggs
1/4 cup cream
1/8 teaspoon salt
Pecans, 250 gr OR 150 gr pecans and 100 gr walnuts
1 teaspoon orange or lemon zest
one 9 inch pie crust from Jiffy Pie Crust Mix

Directions:
In a saucepan combine the sugar, corn syrup, vanilla and butter to a boil, boil 2 minutes and then cool.
Make the pie dough, line it in the pie pan and place in the fridge to chill.
Roast the pecans at 350 F for 8-10 minutes, cool and chop roughly (I even ground like a handful of nuts).
In a medium-large bowl mix the eggs, cream, salt, pecans (and any other nuts) and lemon zest.
When everything is cool, combine the brown sugar mixture with the egg mixture and the chopped nuts and then pour it in the chilled pie crust.
Cover with aluminum foil as you do not want it to burn and place on the lower third of your 350 F preheated oven.
Bake for 35 minutes covered then remove the aluminum and bake for 18-23 more minutes.
Keep an eye on it.
Pairs nicely with fresh whipped cream.
The taste is decadent and you will thank me for suggesting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment