Saturday, June 20, 2009

Homemade Tortillas



Maybe not everybody neds to make these tortillas at home, but I sure like to know how to do a lot of things, especially since I am not running to the store like I used to before I moved here.
These are fast and so good and really I thing anyone can make them.

Ingredients for about 12 pieces:
2/3 cup warm water (105 F)
1 and 1/2 cup flour (white or whole wheat) and some extra for the rolling
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 TBSP butter, which should be at room temperature

Combine the dry ingredients first, add the butter and finally the water and knead for 10 minutes.
Let the dough rest for 20 minutes, then divide it into 10-12 portions.
I always use the kitchen scales.
Roll out each dough piece into a very thin round piece, using some flour on the rolling surface.
Keep them covered with a tea towel and then cook them in a very hot non stick skillet for approx. 1 minutes on each side, until they brown a bit and form bubbles.
Watch them carefully not to burn.
Use them as needed in your recipes or use them instead of regular bread.
I love them !

No comments:

Post a Comment