Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Cranberry Macadamia Cookies


Today, while working on something, I realized a couple of things.
The first thing is that the perfect game for people with obsessive-compulsive disorder or obsessive-compulsive personality is Bejeweled or Nexus, a game where you need to group jewels or balls of the same color. Perfect !
The second thing is that if you are like me - you open the fridge or pantry and look at what you have and wonder what could you make with "X" ingredient - then you are basically like one of the contestants of that Food Network show - Chopped. Right ?
That's kinda funny, now that I envision myself on the stage trying to find all the right ingredients needed to compliment the main chosen star ingredients.
Those things aside, this post is about cranberry macadamia cookies, which I whipped up in no time, after browsing a bit and not being happy with what I found - in other words I came up with my own recipe.
I initially wanted to name these cookies ruby cookies ir jewel cookies because when they were in the oven the cranberries shined so nicely and had such a bright abd beautiful red color that you could have sworn I am baking gems in there !

Ingredients:
1 egg (or 2 whites/yolks)
1/3 cup sugar or splenda
1/4 cup brown sugar
5 TBSP butter (please do not substitute with anything else)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 teaspoon baking soda
1 and 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup lightly toasted macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
1/4 cup lightly toasted walnuts, roughly chopped


1/4 to 1/2 cup cranberries

Directions:
Cream the butter with the splenda/sugar and brown sugar, then add the egg.


In a separate bowl mix all the dry ingredients, then combine the two.


Add the nuts and fruit and dump the dough onto a plastic sheet or piece of wrapping foil, forming a log.


The log should be 2 to 3 inches by 10-12 inches or according to how big the cookies you want to be.
Chill the log for 30 minutes to 1 hour so the butter can harden and the flavors can combine and also the flour hydrate better.
Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare a baking sheet by lining it with a silpat baking mat or a sheet of parchment paper or simply by greasing a baking pan.
When done, slice the log to 1/2 inch thickness and place the cookies at least 1 inch apart in the pan.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes and let cool a few minutes in the pan before transferring as they need a little time to set so they do not fall apart when lifted.


They keep well in a tin box in your kitchen for 1 to 2 weeks.
Delicious !

4 comments:

  1. HEY... My wife makes me these. Pass a glass of milk please!

    These are fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that every baker has his/her own personal favorite and some like it with more nuts, some with more fruit and me....well....less butter and more fruit and nuts.
    They ARE SO GOOD indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cat, cranberries are one of my favorites. I like how you whipped up these Cranberry Macadamia Cookies...thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. GarlicBOSS - Always welcome.

    ReplyDelete