Thursday, November 19, 2009

Shredded Roasted Beet




Beet can be cooked in many different ways, but the one and only I like to use is roasting the beet whole, peel and shred it.
Classically the shredded beet is mixed with horseradish, but my husband does not like that, so I kept it simple, in the hopes that he will have a taste of my glorious beet shred !

Ingredients:
1 big, firm, healthy looking beet



1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3 TBSP oil
2 TBSP vinegar or lemon juice
plastic or latex gloves

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 425 F.
While the oven is heating, wash the beet and place it in a pan.
Cook for 1 hour to 1 h and 20 minutes, until blisters begin to appear


and the pulp of the beet is soft.
Let cool for at least 10 minutes, then put your gloves on (because the beet juice stains !)


and begin to shred it, using the finer shredding side of your kitchen gadget.
When done, place the beet pulp in a bowl and mix with the rest of the ingredients.
You're done !
If you have any left, just place it in a container with a tight lid and store in the fridge.
Works well with anything really !
I ate it with fish and polenta.


Yummy !

7 comments:

  1. love ya to death... beats, sorry, childhood haunts me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry if you do not like beet. I love it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love beets, especially pickled... but lately I have been boiling fresh ones... I will try roasting next time... Oh and how much horseradish for serving it that way?
    Yum!
    Rainey

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a beet that is quite large I would not use more than 1 teaspoon of fresh shredded horseradish, because you know it's quite pungent. Stir in that little, give it a taste and adjust it to suit your preferences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. E foarte buna sfecla preparata sub forma asta, cam asa face si mama. Cu peste si mamaliguta n-am incercat niciodata, dar nu-i deloc rea ideea...
    Stiu ca multa lume nu suporta sfecla, mie insa imi place foarte mult, chiar si simpla, facuta suc :D
    F. relevanta penultima poza, cea cu manusa :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raluca, am observat si eu de curand ca multa lume nu suporta sfecta, insa nu inteleg de ce. Mie imi place foarte mult, mai ales cu telina !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, horseradish is quite pungent... my step mother's father used to make his own creamed horseradish for winter... us kids couldn't even walk in the house when he was grinding it... it made us all cry and he would laugh so hard... I'll give it a try! Thanks!
    ~Rainey~

    ReplyDelete