Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Luscious Mango Rice Pudding




You know that feeling you sometimes get which makes you think of comfort foods ?
That is what I had in my mind when I decided to whip up this dessert.
As it as previously happened to me, I could NOT find a recipe I was happy with....and so I came up with my own version of rice pudding.
I had bought dried mango because I had not had it in a while and I like eating as varied as possible - my initial thought regarding the mango fruit was to use it for Jeff's morning granola.


The addition of coconut and walnuts makes my rice pudding even more tasty !



Ingredients:
dried mango (5-7 pieces, chopped roughly)


2 big TBSP coconut flakes
2 TBSP splenda
1/2 cup rice (try using Arborio if possible)
2 cups milk (any kind will do)
1/2 cream or half & half or just extra milk
walnuts, coconut and mango strips for garnish

Directions:
Heat the milk in a medium size saucepan, pull aside and add the mango, letting it soak.
Rinse the rice, cover with water and let sit for 30 minutes.
When the 30 minutes have passed, remove the mango from the milk and place it in a small bowl.
Bring the milk to a boil, add the mango back, plus rice, sugar and coconut.
Let simmer on low heat for 15 to 20 minutes with a lid on.
When time is up, add the rest of cream /half & half / milk , stir and let simmer for 10 more minutes.
Spoon into a nice glass, decorate and enjoy !


It may look a little orange tinted, but that's just from the mango.


If you have any left, just cover and refrigerate up to 4 days.
The mango can be substituted for any other fruit of your choice.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds amazingly delicious and refreshing. I will definitely try that one. By the way, I'm hooked on those Philippine brand dried mangoes (you can get them at Costco in bulk).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not think of buying any type of dried fruit in bulk, but this is a great idea.
    Thank you !

    ReplyDelete