Thursday, October 8, 2009

Caramelized Onion Tart with Grilled Chicken



Sometimes I feel like experimenting more new dishes and other times I just feel like remaking the classics, without changing a thing (like in the saying "if it is not broke, don't fix it" ) - and this caramelized onion tart is just one of those new ideas that just popped into my head : "How about I just go in the kitchen, caramelize some onion and make a juicy onion tart with big chunks of chicken in it ?"
I really wanted to use one of those bought pie crusts and it tasted delicious., only next time I will put this tart into a pie pan, so it does not look like a pizza.

Ingredients:
one 9-inch pie crust
1 piece of chicken thigh, grilled and cut into small cubes
3 TBSP pizza sauce, tomato sauce or freshly processed tomatoes with basil, garlic and seasonings (you can also omit this)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
2 medium onions, caramelized

Directions:
Cook the onions and let cool.


Grill the chicken and cube it.



Make sure the pie crust is thawed and ready to use.


Prick it with a fork if you wish, although it is not absolutely necessary.


Spoon the pizza sauce over and make sure it is evenly distributed.


Top with the chicken pieces, then with the onion and finally with the mozzarella.




Bake it in a 400 F preheated oven for 15 to 25 minutes, until the cheese is nicely melted and begins to turn a nice gold color.



4 comments:

  1. to quote the bard....

    A pizza by any other name is still a pizza

    But I call it delicious...
    I save this, and will be making it soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha....I knew somebody might say that about my tart. Yes, I know it has all the ingredients of a pizza and even looks like one, but due to the change in crust, I chose to name it tart. But really - does the name matter that much ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hubby would love this (so would the rest of the family)...I am going to have to try it.
    Holly @ 504 Main

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you think so !
    I made it for my husband mainly because he likes caramelized onion so much and he loved it.
    It is a very rich tart though.

    ReplyDelete