Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Lime Fluff Dessert


When life gives you lemons / limes, you should probably just go ahead and squeeze them to make some refreshing lemonade.
But if you don't feel like it, you could give this dessert a go.
I am a subscriber of the Taste of Home magazine and at times I receive bonus recipes delivered to my e-mail inbox, and this Lemon / Lime Fluff is one of them.
As you will see throughout the process, I wanted to be creative with my dessert, but gave up mid-way...due to the scary green color of one of the extra ingredients that I was hoping to include.
Also, while fixing this I did learn that very cold evaporated milk can whip !!
I also know that the sweetened condensed milk, the type of milk used for key lime pies, can be cooked to obtain dulce de leche. Cannot wait to make that one !
All in all the fluff is good, but not necessarily one of my favorites.
If you have raspberries or strawberries, you could also adorn the final product to make it even more pretty.

Ingredients:
1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk


1 package (3 ounces) lemon gelatin (I wanted to use lime gelatin at first, but realized this would end up looking like Halloween food


and decided to just use plain, unflavored gelatin instead.)





1 cup sugar
1-1/3 cups boiling water
1/4 cup lemon / lime juice


1-3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs


5 tablespoons butter, melted


one 8 oz package of cream cheese



Directions:
Pour milk into a small metal bowl; place mixer beaters in the bowl.



Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, dissolve gelatin and sugar in boiling water.
Stir in lemon juice.
Cover and refrigerate until syrupy, about 1-1/2 hours.
If you could not find graham cracker crumbs, then you can just place your crackers in a plastic ziplock bag and crush them with a rolling pin.


In a small bowl, combine crumbs and butter; set aside 2 tablespoons for garnish.
Press remaining crumbs onto the bottom of a 13-in. x 9-in. dish.


Beat chilled milk until soft peaks form.
Beat gelatin until tiny bubbles form.
Cream the cheese and mix it with the gelatin and then fold in the milk.
Also, if you chose to zest your citrus fruit, then this is the time to fold in the zest.



Pour over prepared crust.
Sprinkle with reserved crumbs.



Cover and refrigerate until set.
Cut into squares. 


Yield: 12 servings.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a light, cool desert, just right for summer. I am not trying to be critical, but you seem to enjoy cooking and learning new things. Sweetened condensed milk is not the same as evaporated milk. They are 2 very different products. You said SCM could be whipped, yet evaporated milk is what is in the recipe. I just don't want you to get into trouble with a recipe and get the 2 confused. Again, I am not being critical, just passing along the information. :)

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I'm sorry...you are right...I don't know what I was thinking when I typed that. I know it was evaporated milk, that's what the recipe called for and that's what I used.
    Stupid typo.
    Thanks for pointing that out !
    I am going to correct the post right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for sharing this step by step procedure on how to prepare the lime fluff dessert.i also used the same brand as you did.it taste so good and my whole family loves it too.again, thanks!

    ReplyDelete