Monday, August 9, 2010

Cinnamon Cinnamon-y Brioche Loaf


A brioche loaf is usually brown and crusty on the outside and soft on the inside, it is warm, puffy and the pieces you pull slowly from the slice you just cut are just wonderful.
This picture below is of my regular brioche.
Sorry for not posting a picture of a slice of the dark rich color of this awesome cinnamon brioche loaf.


But there is something that tops that now.
Something a million times better.
I promise you.
It is called cinnamon infused brioche loaf.


When you bite into it you will feel like you died ans gone to Heaven - trust me.
It is one of my own personal creations for my wonderful husband and now it is unveiled here for you to try and enjoy.

Ingredients:
500 gr flour
1 TBSP cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
10 gr instant yeast
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup orange juice
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup chocolate sprinkles (Jimmies)


2/3 cup sugar (you can use Splenda)
6 tbsp butter, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg yolk or a few TBSP of milk combined with some sugar - for glaze
3 tbsp brown raw sugar for topping






Directions:
Dissolve the yeast into the milk, then add the rest of the ingredients, making sure you add the salt at the end.
It is believed that having salt in direct contact with the yeast - kills the yeast and you do not want that.
Knead 10 to 20 minutes minutes and let rest for 35-60 minutes.
Punch it down and pat it so you can flatten it.
Roll the dough and place it into a greased loaf pan, 5 by 10 inches if possible.



 
If you are not sure that only greasing the loaf pan will help with the removal of the brioche at the end, then use either parchment paper or waxed paper.
However, Alton Brown says that waxed paper will burn.
Keep in mind that the brioche will double, even triple in volume.
Let it rise for at least 45 more minutes.
Glaze it and bake at 350 F for 30-40 minutes.
If it starts to brown too quickly, cover with aluminum foil.
When the loaf is cooked through, it should sound hollow when you knock on it.
Make sure the pan is placed in the middle of the oven.
After the baking time, let the brioche sit in the pan for approx. 5 minutes, then remove it and let it cool on a cooling rack.



Keeps well in a ziplock plastic bag, at room temperature or in the fridge.


I sliced my loaf after I had a few slices and froze it and when I want to enjoy a slice, then I just microwave every slice for 12 seconds on each side, then toast it for about 1 minute on high in your toaster oven. 
Look how nicely it rose and baked !
If allowed to proof and rise for long enough, then the final baked loaf will be puffy and not at all flat. 

17 comments:

  1. thx for sharing,it looks yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until golden. Remove from pan and place the loaf on its side on a cooling rack. Alternate side after 5 minutes (this prevents the loaf from compressing)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Sarah, you are absolutely right. Most times though, I let it cool for about 5 to 10 minutes in the pan and so, when i grab the ends of the paper and pull the loaf out, I just set it on the cutting board and let it cool like that, without having to worry about sides as the loaf is quite firm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, this looks and sounds so goood

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pictures are looking so delicious! I'd love to try this at home. Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love to make bread from time to time (of course, with the breadmaker - I am not that advanced!) and have the whole house smelling like a bakery! Thank you for posting this recipe - I will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It doesn't really matter all that much in the end if you knead by hand for at least 10 min or run the dough through the kneading cycle of your bread machine.
    The trick is to have all the ingredients well mixed and to have gluten developed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A good loaf. Mother liked it. I was expecting more of a pastry like quality. But what do I know. It's my first brioche.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been making homemade bread for years. The top of my loaves never come out nice and round,they are always flat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wanted to just add a note instead of rating my own recipe but it wouldnt let me so i'm giving it 5 stars haha.Anyway, i made a few small errors in submitting this recipe. i meant to put 9 in pan instead of 7 and did not mean to add an s to the word pans in the last sentence. i think adding more spice would make it even better. i hope you try it again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm not sure what you're talking about, unfortunately !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, these are great! I added about 1/2 tsp. of vanilla to the egg white. If you are using salted nuts, omit the salt. I also made a separate batch for my folks using Splenda since they are low carb-ing. The Splenda batch was drier, so double the cinnamon / Splenda mixture for a heavier coating. They loved them. Also, I would strongly advise using PARCHMENT PAPER on the bottom of the pan (secure it with some spray oil) to make stirring & clean-up a breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made this for a sunday lunch and was a real hit altho i think i could have used less sugar as it came out tasting really sweet - great for my sweet tooth, but probably not for the others! I think either add less sugar or less syrup into the main cake bit and it'll be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds good - but there is NO syrup in the recipe. The brioche is a pastry that normally comes in a sweet form and the orange juice is really supposed to be sour to counterbalance the sweetness of the sugar or sugar substitute.
    Glad at least you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the idea is to keep your article original to get it indexed by search engines. If you can't come up with anything, look in the newspaper and go through all the sections, thanx for the share!

    ReplyDelete