Friday, September 18, 2009

Mexican Rice


Because we like Mexican food and also Tex-Mex for that matter, I made some Mexican rice to go with some Pork Enchiladas and it turned out to be a very colorful and delicious side dish.
Because I do not want this post to be way too long, I will write about the side first and after I will post the recipe along with pictures for the enchiladas.
So good !
Normally for this kind of rice you need Basmati grain, but I have a huge jar of Arborio (as I got it thinking I will only use it for risotto )- used that and it turned out great.
So really, I guess you can use any kind of rice you like.
Although there are millions of different ways of cooking Mexican or Spanish rice, this is how I do it.

Ingredients:
1 and 1/2 cups rice
1 onion, cut in 4
4 medium cloves garlic
1 jalapeno or serrano chile, medium size, diced
1/2 cup tomato puree
1/2 cup oil
2 cups water
1 cube chicken bouillion if you have, if not, just skip it
1 carrot, sliced
1/2 cup peas
1/2 cup corn, if you like
salt, pepper

Directions:
Soak the rice for 10 to 20 minutes, drain and set aside.
Using a food processor or kitchen blender, mix the onion, garlic, serrano chile or jalapeno and the tomato puree until you get a sauce and set aside in a cup.


Heat the oil in a large skillet, then add the rice, fry well until golden, then drain if you like.

(Here is my wet rice, just placed in the skillet.)


(Here is my rice bubbling away.)


At this point you need to add the tomato sauce waiting in the cup, stir and fry 1 more minute, medium heat.
If using the chicken bouillion cube, dissolve it in the water and add the water to the rice, along with the carrot, peas, and corn if using.



Season with salt and pepper, cover, reduce the heat to low and cook for approx. 20 minutes, until there is no more liquid left.
Turn the heat off and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Be sure to taste before plating and adjust the seasonings to your taste.
Keeps well in the fridge.
Don't you just like those green bits of color?


Now grab your plate so I can give you some !

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, you could call it comfort food.

    Let me ask you something - did you use to follow my blog and you just stopped following?

    ReplyDelete