Friday, August 21, 2009

Homemade Bread Crumbs



Umm...you may wonder why in the world would I do my own.
I have a perfectly reasonable answer for that : because very time I am at the store and I look for bread crumbs there are either none or what they have are seasoned bread crumbs.
:(
My fav ones are Panko Bread Crumbs, slightly elongated and yummy, but I really never saw those anywhere, just on TV.
So since I needed some crumbs for my chicken I had to make my own.
And boy was I happy about freezing slice bread as I could now turn the slices into fresh crumbs !
Fearing the crumbs would go stale, I put the rest in a ziplock bag and put them in the freezer for later use.

Ingredients:
a few slices of bread either fresh or frozen (please do not use stale as the crumbs will taste stale)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 300 F and place the bread slices on a baking sheet.
Bake the bread for 15-25 minutes, turning it on the other side once.
You do not want to brown your bread, you just want to make it dry as you will need it crispy for making your crumbs.
As I plan on using it for breaded fried chicken, the crumbs will brown while frying along with the chicken, in my skillet.
Remove from oven, cool, place in a food processor and pulse until the desired size or coarseness is achieved.
If you do not have a food processor simply put the bread slices in a plastic bag and using your pastry rolling pin or a glass bottle press until you get crumbs.
Easy !

No comments:

Post a Comment