Thursday, August 13, 2009

Fresh Peach Pie


I have never made fresh peach pie, so this time of year and with lots of peaches in my fridge, this was the perfect time for one !
The pie seems to have been a hit with my girl friends at MCA.
They even sent me a note back telling me they award me a blue ribbon for the best peach pie. So it must have been good !
Also, my husband does not like to eat fresh peaches or peaches from a can, but he likes this pie.
I'm so happy !
Trying to avoid the 1 stick of butter needed for homemade pie dough, I used a box mid pie dough. How about that ?
Also, I made a second style of pie, as in - in the first pie the peaches were cut to cherry size pieces and in the second pie I used peach wedges.
The pieces hold better together and I would not recommend using the wedges unless you make an open face tart or galette.


Ingredients:

6 -7 ripe peaches
2/3 cup sugar
3 TBSP lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 teaspoons cold water
2 teaspoons corn starch
4 TBSP tapioca
1,5 TBSP butter


Directions:

Line the pie pan with the pie dough and put it in the fridge to rest.
In a large bowl place the peaches and add the sugar, tapioca, vanilla, lemon juice and the starch dissolved in the 3 teaspoons of cold water.
Toss and let sit for 15 minutes, stirring every now and then.
Preheat the oven to 400 F.
Pull the pie pan out of the fridge and pour the peaches.
Line the pie with the lattice and and cut the butter into small pieces and place it on top.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes.
After the 35 minutes have passed, remove the aluminum and bake for 15 more minutes.
It will look bubbly and beautiful.
Let cool at least 10 minutes in the pan before eating.
Pairs perfectly with whipped cream.




No comments:

Post a Comment